Danger dog escapes death

News: Bringing you news 24-hours a day.
News: Bringing you news 24-hours a day.
Have your say

A dangerous dog has escaped being put down – because it is living in Scotland.

Ten-year-old Bomber, a Staffordshire bull terrier, bit and injured two women in Barnsley and Manchester.

After hearing about the separate attacks, Judge Sarah Wright, sitting at Sheffield Crown Court, ordered the dog be destroyed.

But the dog’s owner Ian Edmonds has split up with his partner who took Bomber with her to Scotland – and the court only has jurisdiction in England and Wales.

It means the dog, which was taken in as a stray, cannot be put down – as long as it stays north of the border.

Crown prosecutor Alison Dorrell said after the hearing: “If the dog is brought back the police would be entitled to seize it and destroy it in the normal way.”

Edmonds, 48, of Moston, Manchester admitted being in charge of a dangerous dog.

Ms Dorrell said shopper Maria Ray was attacked by the terrier as she pushed a trolley between two cars in the car park at the Asda superstore in Barnsley on July 22, 2012.

She had not noticed the dog in Edmonds’ car which had the driver’s window wound down by a third to give Bomber some air on a warm day.

“That was appropriate but the dog was not restrained and was loose,” said Ms Dorrell. “Unfortunately, for Miss Ray was she walked past the car the dog bit her on the upper arm. It held onto her arm briefly, then released her.”

Other shoppers came to the victim’s rescue. She was treated at Barnsley District Hospital but given antibiotics which made her ill and then the bite became infected and she had to stay in hospital for five days.

She was left with scarring to her left arm and is now self-conscious when wearing short sleeves.

The second attack happened in Miles Platting, Manchester ,on January 13 last year when Bomber attacked a family friend delivering food inside the couple’s house.

Megan Rhys, defending, said Edmonds and his partner had gone shopping at Asda in Barnsley when the dog bit the woman on the arm adding: “They weren’t present when the incident occurred and saw the aftermath of it.

“The complainant went past with her trolley and whether it was the noise that upset the dog is not clear.

“There had been no issues with the dog beforehand.”

Edmonds had stayed with the woman to ensure she received treatment.

Judge Sarah Wright gave Edmonds a 12-month community order, 100 hours of unpaid community work and ordered he carry out a specified activity requirement.

The judge said of the shopper attack: “This was clearly a painful and distressing incident for her. She was left with scarring and she has clearly been traumatised by the event.”