DAMP caused by a leaky roof sparked an attack of ringworm fungal infection in a seven-year-old boy, his Sheffield family say.
Joshua Buckley, who shares a bedroom with younger brother Mason, six, was bright red in the face and had to be taken to see his GP, who prescribed a course of antihistamine tablets for the youngster.
Worried mum Lorraine Buckley said: “His face looked like he was on fire and I thought he had suffered an allergic reaction to something. The doctor told us it was ringworm.”
Lorraine, who also lives with husband Michael and daughters Shannon, 15, and Natalie, 13, said damp had first started to appear at the family home, on Severnside Drive, Woodhouse, in the boys’ bedroom in September.
“It looked like it was coming from a leaky roof. We had workmen out to make repairs but the damp is still there. I’ve had to throw Joshua’s mattress away and we have moved both him and Mason into our daughters’ room. They’re having to sleep downstairs.
“The damp is still there and we need repairs.”
Lorraine said nobody from contractor Kier had been in touch with her for three weeks despite repeated complaints to her local housing office at Crystal Peaks.
A spokeswoman for housing management company Sheffield Homes said: “Mrs Buckley contacted us to discuss various problems including the damp she was experiencing with her property.
“Work was identified to wash all affected areas with a fungicidal wash and to apply a three-stage halophane treatment to the ceilings in the front bedroom, back bedroom and bathroom.
“Our contractors Kier have tried to contact Miss Buckley on numerous occasions to arrange a suitable appointment to carry out this work but she hasn’t returned their calls.”
She urged Mrs Buckely to contact them so they could arrange to complete the work.