Takeaway owner charged with manslaughter after Sheffield dad with severe peanut allergy died after eating curry

Pub landlord Paul Wilson, aged 38, from Sheffield suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction and died after buying a curry from the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire in January last year
Pub landlord Paul Wilson, aged 38, from Sheffield suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction and died after buying a curry from the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire in January last year
0
Have your say

The owner of an Indian restaurant has been charged after a Sheffield dad with a severe peanut allergy died after eating a curry.

Pub landlord Paul Wilson, aged 38, originally from Sheffield, suffered a severe anaphylactic reaction and died after buying a curry from the Indian Garden in Easingwold, North Yorkshire in January last year.

Pub landlord Paul Wilson, aged 38, from Sheffield

Pub landlord Paul Wilson, aged 38, from Sheffield

Father-of-one Mr Wilson, who had a seven-year-old son called Cameron, bought the curry in January last year and collapsed in the bathroom quarters of the Oak Tree Inn, Helperby, North Yorkshire, where he was working.

His death prompted a major investigation by trading standards officers into food fraud, where peanuts are used in place of almonds.

Owner, Mohammed Khalique Zaman, 52, of York, has been charged of manslaughter by gross negligence.

Mr Zaman – who owns a string of award-winning outlets – has also been charged with perverting the course of justice and an employment offence under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.

Peter Mann, head of the complex casework unit at the Crown Prosecution Service Yorkshire and Humberside, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has been working closely with North Yorkshire Police in connection with this case.

“Having carefully considered all of the evidence presented to us, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence, and that it is in the public interest to charge Mohammed Khalique Zaman with manslaughter by gross negligence, perverting the course of justice, and an employment offence under the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006.”

Mr Wilson died before the introduction of new laws stipulating that caterers must provide allergy information on unpackaged foods.

Zaman will appear at Northallerton Magistrates’ Court on Friday, April 24.

About one in ten deaths a year in Britain are due to allergies to foods like nuts.