South Yorkshire hoaxer is cleared of bomb research

Nicholas Roddis
Nicholas Roddis
0
Have your say

A SOUTH Yorkshire man jailed for leaving a hoax bomb on a bus has been cleared of another terrorist offence while on licence from prison.

Nicholas Roddis was alleged to have used public libraries to research how to make a real bomb after leaving jail.

But an Old Bailey jury found 27-year-old Roddis, of Maltby, Rotherham, not guilty of engaging in acts for the preparation of terrorism.

He burst into tears and his voice cracked with emotion as he told them: “Thank you so much.”

Roddis, who told the three-week trial he had been researching for an appeal against his original conviction, thanked the jury.

He was led away to serve the rest of his sentence.

The former finance worker, of Armstrong Walk, is due to be released on January 11 next year.

Judge Roger Chapple told him: “Your licence was revoked. How long you serve is not a matter for me, but for others.”

Roddis was jailed in 2008 for the hoax and for preparing for terrorism.

When he boarded the Rotherham bus in 2007, carrying his hoax device, he was wearing a false beard, moustache and glasses that the driver had thought was fancy dress.

He left a note in incorrect Arabic, declaring: “Britain must be punished.”

Chemicals and instructions for bombs were found at his home in May 2007.

After his release in January 2011, he tried to get around a ban on using the internet, a condition of his parole, by accessing computers in local libraries, the court heard.

He was arrested by officers from the North East counter terrorism unit in March.