South Yorkshire detectives issue new appeal for information on two-year-old murder case

Scene of fatal stabbing at Whitehill Drive, Brinsworth Rotherham
Scene of fatal stabbing at Whitehill Drive, Brinsworth Rotherham
Have your say

Detectives in South Yorkshire investigating a two-year-old murder case have issued a new appeal for information.

They urged people with information about the attack on 40-year-old Justin Hague to come forward after coroner Nicola Mundy adjourned an inquest into the death.

The coroner heard evidence from witnesses who saw the father-of-three getting stabbed to death in December 2011.

Three men in their 20s were arrested on suspicion of murder but never charged.

Mr Hague and his son, Karl, were part of a group who stormed a house on Godric Drive, Brinsworth, Rotherham, in a bid to seek revenge over a smashed windscreen.

Bats and an axe were used and windows were smashed as two groups clashed.

Karl Hague told the inquest his dad kicked the door in and two rivals waved knives about before his dad grabbed one of the men and started punching him.

He then described how his father was repeatedly knifed amid shouts of ‘stab him, stab him’.

Karl, who was living with his family on Whitehill Drive, Brinsworth, at the time, was given a 12-month jail term suspended for two years for violent disorder for his part in the incident.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “South Yorkshire Police is continuing to work with the coroner following an inquest into the death of Justin Hague which took place on Wednesday.

“Officers were called to a report of a disturbance at Godric Drive shortly before 10pm on December 3, 2011. It later emerged that 40-year-old local man, Justin Hague, had suffered puncture wounds.

“He was taken to Rotherham District General Hospital, where he died at 11.24pm that night.

“The inquest was adjourned on Wednesday for further enquiries to be conducted at direction of the coroner.

“The investigation continues and anyone with any information that could assist officers with their investigation is urged to contact South Yorkshire Police.”