Sheffield United player told officers victim ‘wanted sex’

Ched Evans, left, and Clayton McDonald deny rape.
Ched Evans, left, and Clayton McDonald deny rape.
Have your say

A FORMER Chesterfield FC player accused of raping a teenager told police ‘she had come back to the hotel to have fun’, a court heard.

Clayton McDonald and Sheffield United striker Ched Evans both deny raping the woman, then aged 19, at a hotel in North Wales.

The 23-year-olds have admitted having sex with the woman, but the prosecution say she was not in a fit state to consent to what happened.

At Caernarfon Crown Court today, Detective Constable Philip Williams said McDonald told him when quizzed: ”She was horny. She grabbed me, she wanted sex.”

The Port Vale defender, who made two appearances on loan at Chesterfield in 2009, said they were both ‘having a good time, having sex’.

He told detectives: “She seemed like she had a drink, but everyone had. She was enjoying herself. She grabbed me and I grabbed her.”

McDonald, of Marys Gate, Crewe, Cheshire, and Evans, of Ashtree Gardens, Millhouse Green, Penistone, deny raping the woman at the Premier Inn, Rhuddlan, after she left the Zu bar in nearby Rhyl, in May last year.

After being arrested, McDonald told police he had a ‘few drinks’ that night.

DC Williams said McDonald told him: “I was tipsy, but knew what I was doing.”

He had bumped into the alleged victim in the street.

McDonald said: “I said ‘hi, where are you going’. She said ‘where are you going’. I said ‘I’m going to my hotel and she goes ‘I’m coming with you’. She wanted to have some fun.

“She was smiling. She wasn’t slurring her words and falling all over the road.

“She had come back to the hotel to have fun, to have sex.

“A girl doesn’t come back to the hotel if she doesn’t want to do that.”

DC Williams said McDonald told him it was ‘general consenting sex’.

The court heard Evans then asked to get involved.

Earlier, Sohail Aslam, owner of a Rhyl takeaway told the court the woman fell down two or three times in the takeaway on the night of the alleged rapes.

He said: “She was very drunk that night.”

The trial continues.