Sheffield knife attack thug jailed for six years

Brad Spencer - jailed for knife attack
Brad Spencer - jailed for knife attack
Have your say

A man has been jailed for six years for a knife attack outside a Sheffield bar.

Brad Spencer, aged 20, of Yew Lane, Ecclesfield, stabbed a 31-year-old man in his chest, back and arms during a fight near the Players Lounge in Ecclesfield in March.

Spencer pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to commit grievous bodily harm and having a knife in a public place during a hearing at Sheffield Crown Court.

After he was sentenced, South Yorkshire Police said the attack could have put the victim’s life at risk.

PC Tom Ryan said: “This was an assault with a deadly weapon that could have resulted in life-threatening injuries.

“I feel the sentence given reflects the vicious nature of the attack with the knife, and sends a clear message that there will always be serious consequences for any crime committed with a blade.”

He said Spencer became embroiled in a row with his victim on a night out and pulled out a knife.

“They did not know each other before this, and during the course of a row Brad pulled out a knife and repeatedly slashed his victim across his back, arms and chest - he had around seven wounds,” he said.

“His victim spent a few days in hospital but was very lucky, as this could have been a lot worse.

“South Yorkshire Police, backed up by the courts, will not tolerate anyone using a knife on the streets of Sheffield - anyone found with one can expect the harshest of sentences.”

Spencer’s friend, 24-year-old David Faulkner, of Haden Street, Hillsborough, Sheffield, received a suspended five month jail term when he pleased guilty over the summer to possessing a knife in a public place on the same night as the attack.

CCTV cameras captured him dumping a knife in a bin after the stabbing.

The Players Lounge has been closed since the attack.

Sheffield Council’s licensing board was due to review the pub’s licence after police raised concerns, but the owner gave up the licence before the meeting took place.

Superintendent Shaun Morley, of South Yorkshire Police, had prepared a report detailing several incidents.

The dossier included a number of fights and anti-social behaviour which officers had been called to in previous months.