Sheffield asbestos company fined over failings

Courts: News, reaction and more.

Courts: News, reaction and more.

0
Have your say

AN ASBESTOS removal firm from Sheffield has been fined for putting its workers at risk of exposure.

The Health and Safety Executive prosecuted AG&M, Stocks Hill, Ecclesfield, for failing to properly maintain a decontamination unit and respiratory masks. It also failed to have a trained supervisor on site at a building in Warwickshire where it was working.

Nuneaton Magistrates’ Court heard an HSE inspector visited the site and found the unit, which was essential to allow workers to clean themselves after removing asbestos from the building, was substandard. The shower could not be used as the water hose was frozen.

Daily inspection records of the unit had not been completed so the company had also failed to identify a damaged vent, a broken door hinge and the shower compartment door not closing properly.

The court heard that two men, who were removing ceiling tiles containing asbestos from the building when the inspector visited, would not have realised there was no water supply until they were in the shower compartment.

AG&M was fined £10,000 and ordered to pay £5,349 costs.

Jo Anderson, HSE principal inspector, said: “People who work with asbestos must be able to clean themselves properly to prevent exposure to such a potentially dangerous substance.”

Back to the top of the page