No terror threat at school say Police as investigation continues

McAuley Catholic HIgh School earlier this week
McAuley Catholic HIgh School earlier this week
0
Have your say

A Doncaster Secondary school which reportedly suffered a terror threat earlierer in the week has been declared safe by South Yorkshire Police.

On Monday morning Police were 'managing' an incident at the McAuley Catholic High School. A message was sent out to all parents and guardians with children at around 1pm which read: "We are aware of an incident which School and SY Police are managing. School remains open on Police advice. We will keep you updated and informed."

Today the Police have told parents, pupils and staff that there is no intelligence of any threat to the school in light of 'malicious posts' on social media.

Doncaster Superintendent, Neil Thomas, said: "Contrary to some reports in the media, there is no evidence to suggest it is necessary to keep children off school and there is any threat to any school in Doncaster.

“Officers at the North East Counter Terrorism Unit are leading the investigation, supported by officers from South Yorkshire Police, to establish the origin of the social media posts.

“Enquiries are well underway and the North East CTU have advised this morning they will also investigate a further report of a malicious post and the circumstances, to establish if there are any potential links.

“All possible lines of enquiry are being explored to identify the indiviudal or indviduals responsible and I want offer my assurance it will be fully investigated and those affected will be kept updated."

It is understood that specially trained officers spent a few days at the School this week in order to reassure local people.