Leeds thug’s Twitter threat

Aaron Cawley leaving Cheltenham Magistrates Court after breaking his football banning order

Aaron Cawley leaving Cheltenham Magistrates Court after breaking his football banning order

10
Have your say

A thug jailed and given a football banning order for attacking Owls goalkeeper Chris Kirkland at Hillsborough has fuelled speculation he is going to try to get into the stadium again this weekend.

Leeds United supporter Aaron Cawley, aged 22, from Cheltenham, invaded the pitch at Hillsborough when his team played Sheffield Wednesday in October 2012.

He slapped Kirkland’s face and was jailed for 16 weeks and given a six-year Football Banning Order.

Furious Dave Jones, Wednesday boss at the time, branded Leeds fans ‘vile animals’ after the attack and called for them to banned from all away matches.

But Cawley, who had already been issued with two Football Banning Orders in the past and jailed for breaching them, has used his Twitter feed this week to talk about his excitement at the Wednesday versus Leeds clash at Hillsborough on Saturday.

He has posted a photograph of a ticket for the match alongside a message saying: “Can’t wait for the game.”

Cawley, who has a LUFC tattoo on his neck, told Twitter followers criticising him if he attempted to get into the ground his ‘ban was overturned last week’.

He also posted #grass to two followers who claimed to have alerted West Yorkshire Police to his post.

Police and football chiefs held a scheduled pre-match briefing on Wednesday, where Cawley’s Twitter posts were discussed.

A Sheffield Wednesday spokeswoman said: “The club’s understanding is that Aaron Cawley is the subject of a banning order and consequently South Yorkshire Police will take the appropriate action should he come within a mile of the stadium on Saturday.”

A spokesman for South Yorkshire Police said: “People subject to football banning orders are proactively and robustly monitored by South Yorkshire Police.

“Working in liaison with other forces, agencies and clubs, officers routinely monitor intelligence gathered from a variety of sources, including social media, in order to prevent any potential breaches.

“Visits are also made to specific individuals to deter them from attending matches they are banned from.

“We are committed to creating a safe environment at any football match and individuals who attend a match intent on inciting and engaging in disorder will be robustly dealt with.”

Back to the top of the page