‘Kidnapper’ claims Sheffield teen victim was behind ‘con’

Crime:Latest news.
Crime:Latest news.
0
Have your say

A MAN accused of a plot to kidnap a schoolboy and demand a £40,000 ransom told a jury the abduction was a set- up by the 14-year-old victim.

Abdal Miah, aged 29, formerly of Flaxby Road, Darnall, is alleged to have been part of a gang which snatched the teenager from the streets of Darnall then drove him to Ringinglow and demanded cash from his father.

The prosecution says the gang demanded £40,000 and threatened to chop the boy into pieces, before dropping the amount to £2,000.

Giving evidence in his defence at Sheffield Crown Court, Miah told jurors he was approached by a man called Shamraze, who asked him to help raid a ‘crop house’ or cannabis factory belonging to the victim’s father.

He said he agreed to help and recruited his friend Liban Mohammed for the raid, but then Shamraze and the 14-year-old came up with a new money-making idea to fake a kidnap.

Miah said when the victim was bundled into the car it had been with his ‘consent’.

He said: “Shamraze informed me it was going to be a con on the boy’s dad. I asked him ‘what do you mean’ and he said ‘the boy is going to hide out for a few hours and make out he has been kidnapped by a black gang from Manchester. It’s Halloween so it should happen tonight’.”

Asked during cross examination why he had not told the police the teenager was in on the plan from the start, Miah said: “I was told by my legal team to go ‘no comment’.”

Miah also claimed the victim had said ‘my dad is going to pay, trust me he will pay’ and told the gang to ‘grab’ him.

Miah and co-accused Liban Mohammed, 20, of Balfour Drive, Darnall, Carlos Treazure, 27, of Norfolk Road, Norfolk Park and Anjam Shaffique, 30, of Sandford Grove, Nether Edge, all deny kidnap and blackmail on October 31 2011.

The trial continues.