Inquest opened into death of Sheffield man

Simon holdsworth
Simon holdsworth
0
Have your say

An inquest has been opened into the death of a Sheffield man murdered as he walked home from work.

Simon Holdsworth, aged 36, was bludgeoned with a weapon, which has not yet been found, over six weeks ago – but his killer remains at large.

Coroner Chris Dorries, opening the inquest into the death, described it as ‘tragic’.

He said: “I offer my sympathies to the family on their loss – it’s a tragic situation.”

The coroner said the body is to be released for cremation, although details of the funeral have not been revealed.

Describing the circumstances surrounding the murder, he said: “On Monday, December 16, Mr Holdsworth went to his work and completed his shift at around 10pm.

“He did not arrive home and his family became concerned.

“Shortly before 6.30am on Tuesday, December 17, his body was discovered in a field.

“The ambulance and police service attended and his body was taken to the Medico Legal Centre.”

Mr Holdsworth, who lived with his partner Carleen McKeown and her four-year-old son Tiarnan in Westfield Avenue, Hackenthorpe, had just got off a bus after a shift at FBS Prestige, in Intake, when he was set upon.

He failed to return home when expected and was reported missing the following day.

A member of the public discovered his body behind a hedge in a field off Birley Spa Lane.

Earlier this week police issued a fresh appeal for information from anyone who could think of a motive or reason for the murder.

Detectives believe the key to the case centres on finding out everything about how Mr Holdsworth lived his life.

Crimestoppers has put up a £5,000 reward for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of the killer.

A 45-year-old Sheffield man arrested on suspicion of murder earlier this month has been bailed pending further inquiries.