Two stadium CCTV tapes were stolen in the aftermath of the Hillsborough disaster, jurors have been told.
Jurors at the new inquests into the tragedy which left 96 Liverpool FC supporters dead, were told the tapes were stolen from the control room at Sheffield Wednesday’s Hillsborough Stadium.
One was blank, while the other covered turnstiles in the West Stand, where the tragedy unfolded.
Jurors were hearing evidence from Detective Superintendent Neil Malkin, who is leading the criminal investigation into the disaster.
He said ‘painstaking’ work had been carried out by investigators to identify the victims through thousands of videos and photographs.
His team is looking at events on the day and the planning and preparation in the run up to the fateful FA Cup semi final on Saturday, April 15, 1989.
Mr Malkin told the jury that 191 officers working on the investigation, called Operation Resolve, had trawled through 2,000 videos and 7,000 photos – some provided by The Star – to identify the 96 victims.
He said his team had looked at 500,000 documents and interviewed 1,500 people, including families of the victims, which he said had been ‘extremely beneficial’ for the investigative process.
Mr Malkin said there were 83 turnstiles in operation at Hillsborough on the day of the match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.
Of those, 23 were allocated to Liverpool fans and 60 to Forest supporters.
Mr Malkin outlined the layout of the ground and who was responsible for safety on the day to the inquests.
He explained the responsibilities of Sheffield Wednesday and Sheffield Council and said there had been a crush at the same spot during an FA Cup semi final between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Tottenham Hotspur in 1981.
The jury, coroner, inquest counsel and lawyers for the families are due to visit Hillsborough stadium on Friday.