Boxer champ vows a return

Kell Brook

Kell Brook

1
Have your say

Sheffield boxing world champion Kell Brook today vowed ‘I’ll be back’ as he continued his recovery in hospital today from an ‘unprovoked’ knife attack in Tenerife.

The 28-year-old said he was enjoying a night out with friends when he was stabbed in the early hours of Thursday.

Brook is due to spend the weekend in hospital before returning to Sheffield on Monday to begin his rehabilitation.

He is not due to be back in the ring until next year.

Speaking from his hospital bed, Brook said: “I was out enjoying a night out before returning home when I was the victim of an unprovoked attack.

“I’m devastated right now, after being on such a high having achieved my dream of becoming World Champion in Los Angeles last month. This is obviously a major set-back but the thought of defending my title is what’s keeping me positive.

“I want to thank everyone for their support.

“Make no mistake – I will be back.”

His first title defence fight at the Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield on December 6 is ‘now unrealistic’ according to his promoter, who expects him back in the ring next year.

Speaking from Tenerife, Eddie Hearn said: “We were all glad to get out here and see Kell for ourselves. The important thing now is to get him home and, after some rest, begin physio on his injuries.”

Brook’s family said he had undergone a ‘major life saving’ operation and thanked hospital staff.

He is on holiday with his pregnant partner.

It is the second time he has been stabbed. The first was in Spital Hill in 2007.

No arrests have been made in Tenerife so far.

Back to the top of the page