ONE of the busiest streets in Sheffield city centre was closed while firefighters dealt with a blaze at a block of flats.
Fire crews were called to the Sinclair House Flats on Regent Street, just off West Street, at 11pm on Tuesday night after reports that people were trapped on their balconies on the fifth floor unable to escape because of smoke filtering into their homes.
When firefighters arrived they discovered that a bin store had been set alight outside the block of flats and a gas main had caught fire.
The bin store, which was surrounded by wooden fencing, was engulfed in flames.
Firefighters extinguished the blaze and then cooled the burning gas main until specialist engineers arrived to close off the gas supply.
There was no need to evacuate the flats.
Firefighters spent two hours dealing with the incident.
West Street was re-opened to traffic at around 1am yesterday morning.