A Sheffield community have been thanked for the ‘overwhelming support’ they have provided to heartbroken relatives of the family killed in a house fire.
Nazia Parwaiz Kayani thanked more than 100 people who paid their respects at a tree-planting memorial event.
She said her family was deeply grateful for the help they have received over the last 12 months since the tragic events that claimed the lives of five of her family.
Speaking at yesterday’s event, she said: “I would like to thank the relatives, the friends, the neighbours, work colleagues and the wider community for all their help and support over the last year.
“The support we have had is overwhelming.
“I really appreciate everyone’s help and thank you all for coming.
“The deceased family we have lost will be at peace and very happy to see so many people loved them.
“The planting of the tree is a way of remembering them outside the house. As it grows, I feel we will be at peace too.”
As she spoke, the family’s grandfather Nushrat Kayani broke down in tears, along with many in the crowd.
Her brother Nazim Parwaiz Kayani, whose three children died in the fatal Nether Edge blaze on Wake Road last year, said he was grateful to everyone who attended the ceremony.
He added he hopes the tree can help give the family positive memories about their lost relatives.
Nazim said: “There are lots of family and friends here.
“It was my sister’s idea for the tree planting. We did it at my kids’ school and we’ve done it outside the house. It is a really good thing.”
Coun Nasima Akther, who helped assist the family in arranging the tree planting, said: “I hope this will bring some comfort to the family
“During this hard time, the community has come together.”
More than 2,000 mourners attended the family’s funerals last year at the Medina Mosque in Heeley – one of the biggest funerals ever seen in Sheffield.
The fire is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault due to a faulty charging device.
Following the fire last year, South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service urged people to steer clear of using cheap electrical chargers and have launched a campaign to raise awareness of the issue.
Kevin Ronan, head of community safety for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service, said at the time: “A lot of cheap, unbranded chargers are imported, made with cheap components, and not designed for a specific brand of device.
“They may charge items at a greater speed than they are meant to be charged, they may overheat – there are a number of things which can go wrong.”
He added electrical items should be turned off at night.