South Yorkshire Police say their enquiries into allegations of sex abuse by Sir Cliff Richard are continuing, despite reports one of their three investigations have been dropped.
The Sunday Times has reported part of the force’s inquiry into the singer has now been brought to an end.
But a spokesman for the force said today: “The investigation is ongoing and enquiries continue.”
The Sunday Times reported that an unnamed close friend of the singer said one of the investigations had foundered in relation to detectives finding evidence to substantiate the claims.
Sir Cliff has previously described the allegations against him as ‘absurd and untrue’.
He was in Portugal in August last year when the BBC broadcast live footage of police raiding his home in Berkshire.
South Yorkshire Police were later criticised for causing ‘unnecessary distress’ to Sir Cliff in a review by former chief constable Andy Trotter of the force’s agreement with the BBC.
The singer is due to perform in Sheffield next month as part of a national tour to mark his 75th birthday.
He will appear at Sheffield City Hall on October 1 at a sold-out show.