The bombshell found near Don Valley today would have likely fallen during the Sheffield Blitz.
Here are nine fascinating facts about the German bombing raids on the city...
* The Sheffield Blitz took place over two nights, the 12th and 15th December 1940
* More than 280 German aircraft took part in the raids
* Sheffield city centre was badly damaged on the 12th December raid
* Around 70 civilians who were seeking shelter in the Marples Hotel in Fitzallan Square on the night of the 12th were killed when the building received a direct hit from a 500lb Luftwaffe bomb
* In total 660 people were killed during the two nights of bombing of the city
* In addition to those killed, around 1500 people were injured
* 40,000 Sheffielders were made homeless
* 78,000 homes were damaged
* 3,000 homes were so bady damaged that they had to be totally demolished