Cigarette causes flat fire

0
Have your say

A MAN had to be led to safety by firefighters after a blaze started in his Sheffield flat during the early hours of yesterday.

Crews from Mansfield Road fire station were summoned to a block of flats in Scotia Drive, Manor, after neighbours reported smoke pouring from a ground floor flat.

Firemen gained entry at around 2.45am and found the man, who is aged in his 60s, in a confused state inside.

They led him outside and administered first aid but he did not require hospital treatment.

A spokesman for the fire service said the blaze had been caused by a discarded cigarette which had smouldered on a carpet.

The flat was smoke logged but not badly damaged.