A Doncaster couple celebrated their diamond wedding anniversary with family and friends at the church they have been associated with since it was built.
Stan and Phyllis Allott have lived in Cantley since 1954 and have worshipped at St Paul’s RC Church since it was a ‘tin hut’ near Cantley Bridge and since the current church was built in Goodison Boulevard.
They had previously attended St Peter in Chains in the town centre but the new parish was set up as the Cantley and Bessacarr housing estates began to mushroom in the 1950s.
Both are still active in the church, Phyllis as a eucharist minister and Stan helping to maintain the building and handing out hymn books.
The couple, who have a son, Anthony, and two grandchildren, celebrated 60 years of marriage at St Paul’s church hall.
They met at a dance organised for staff of the Plant rail works, where Stan worked at the time.