Chrome window handle blamed for fire in South Yorkshire house

Firefighters have issued a warning after a house blaze in Mexborough
Firefighters have issued a warning after a house blaze in Mexborough
0
Have your say

Firefighters are urging residents to keep reflective objects, crystal ornaments and shaving mirrors out of direct sunlight after a fire in a South Yorkshire house.

A chrome window handle is believed to have sparked the fire at a house on Avocet Close, Mexborough, on Sunday morning.

Scorch marks were discovered on a window frame by the occupant of the house and Dearne firefighters attended the property as a precaution.

There were no ornaments between the blind and the window, leaving the most probable cause to be sunlight reflecting off the chrome window handles.

Group Manager Simon Dunker, said: “These sort of incidents are not as rare as you would think, particularly at this time of year when the sun is getting lower.

"I would urge everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm on every level of your home and know what to do in the event of a fire.