Children blamed for fires in bedrooms across South Yorkshire

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield
A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield
0
Have your say

A teenager playing with a cigarette lighter was to blame for a house going up in flames and damaging the property next door.

Firefighters alerted to the blaze on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield, found it had started in a bedroom, where a teenage boy had been playing with lighter.

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

Flames spread to the roof and damaged the house next door.

Firefighters had to battle to prevent the flames engulfing both properties.

At the height of the blaze, on Saturday afternoon, there were four fire engines and an aerial ladder platform at the scene, drenching the flames from above.

The boy, his parents and his brother, who were all in the house, escaped unharmed - but their home and belongings suffered severe damage.

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

That same afternoon firefighters were called to another house fire, caused by another child playing with fire.

Crew members who responded to the 999 call about the fire on Vernon Street, Birdwell, Barnsley, discovered it broke out because a child in the house had been playing with matches.

The fire was already out when crews arrived.

Firefighters were called to a third house fire on Saturday after a man smoking a pipe in bed set fire to his bedding and mattress.

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

A house damaged by fire on Hannah Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield

The man, in his 70s, was smoking in his flat on Edgedale Road, Millhouses, Sheffield, when the fire broke out.

The pensioner escaped unharmed.

South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service today issued a warning about the dangers of children playing with fire following the weekend’s incidents.

The brigade urged parents to keep lighters and matches out of the reach of children.

A spokesman said: “It’s not uncommon for children to develop an interest in fire, but unfortunately this can easily put lives and property at risk.

“Much of our education in schools focuses on making children aware of the dangers of playing with fire, and the fact that even small fires can develop quickly into a serious incident.

“Our main advice to parents is to talk to your children about the dangers of fire, and to keep matches and lighters in a secure place where children cannot reach them.”