Child starts blaze at pub

Have your say

A CHILD playing with a lighter is believed to have sparked a fire which spread to the roof of a South Yorkshire pub.

The blaze broke out in a bedroom at The Potters Wheel pub, Cloughfield Road, Hoyland, at 9.10am yesterday.

At the height of the fire, around 20 firefighters in four engines were in attendance.

A fire service spokeswoman said: “All occupants were safely out when fire crews arrived but a Staffordshire Bull Terrier was reported to be inside. Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the property and successfully rescued the dog.

“The fire started in a first floor bedroom and quickly spread to the roof area. It is believed to have been stared accidentally due to a young child playing with a lighter.

“Firefighters worked quickly to bring the fire under control, which was hampered due an open window on the first floor causing a funnelling effect on the fire.” The blaze took two hours to extinguish.

In Doncaster a house was left smoke logged after a snack overheated on a cooker. No-one was injured in the blaze on Old Hexthorpe at Hexthorpe.

Back to the top of the page