IT was a chance wartime meeting which led to romance and marriage.
Leonard and Gladys Tew were married in North Ormsby Church, Teeside in 1946 - a year after they had first met at an army base near Driffield in East Yorkshire in 1945.
Now Leonard, who was in the RAF, and Gladys, who served in the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force, have celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary at home in Hazelbarrow Grove, Jordanthorpe, with family and friends,
Gladys, from Middlesborough, and Leonard, a born and bred Sheffielder, made their home together in Grassmere Road, Woodseats where they raised three children, Val, Derek and Glynis.
Following the war, Derek, who saw active service in Egypt and Italy, secured work in the building trade.
And he was lucky to have worked in one of the most beautiful places on earth.
For almost 15 years Leonard, who is now 90, helped to convert stables and other outbuildings at Chatsworth into shops and restaurants.
Gladys, 91, worked as a dinner lady at Carter Knowle School and also at Thorntons factory in Archer Road.
The couple, who have nine grandchildren and one great grandchild, try to visit South Africa at least once a year. Their daughter Val has lived in Johannesburg since 1978 and the Tews enjoy spending their holidays there.