CCTV captures thief who raided top Sheffield restaurant

Thief breaks into The Milestone restaurant in Sheffield
Thief breaks into The Milestone restaurant in Sheffield
Have your say

This sneaky thief is being hunted after being caught on CCTV raiding a top Sheffield restaurant.

The intruder smashed a side window to get into The Milestone in Kelham Island – stealing a cash float from the bar, an expensive bottle of brandy and smashing up the till.

His break-in triggered the restaurant’s burglar alarm and police attended – but the thief had already fled.

Chefs arrived at the Green Lane gastropub to start their preparation and discovered what had happened.

Matt Bigland, managing director of The Milestone and its three sister restaurants, shared the CCTV image online in a bid to find the thief and suspects a second person had helped him to gain entry.

He said: “I put it online straight away because I was so angry.

“I think over 10,000 people have seen it through Facebook and it has been retweeted 500 or 600 times on Twitter which is incredible.

“It was just so blatant.

“It looks like he was perhaps a drug addict just trying to get some cash for a fix and some alcohol.”

The break-in happened at 6am on Saturday June 6.

Matt added: “It’s the first time we’ve had anything like this happen to us. When we first started doing the place up someone tried to come in through the skylight but they must have just scarpered.

“This time it had a knock on effect because we had a table in for brunch, we couldn’t use that till and the window was boarded up.”

The intruder was black, about 5ft 8ins tall and of medium build with a goatee beard.

South Yorkshire Police said they were investigating the break in and appealed for information. A spokesman added: “At around 6am on Saturday June 6, officers received a report that an intruder had broken into The Milestone in Green Lane.

“It is reported that a till and alcohol were taken after a brick was used to smash a ground floor window.”

n Anyone with information should contact police on 101 quoting incident number 233 of June 6 2015.