Call of Duty dad told police he had shaken baby

News...
News...
0
Have your say

The father of a baby left with a severe brain injury told police several times that he had shaken his child, a court heard.

The man made a series of calls to the police in which he repeated he ‘did it’ – and repeated the admission in an interview.

But he said his mind had ‘gone blank’ when asked precisely what he did and why.

The assault is alleged to have occurred on November 13, 2012, while the man’s partner was out buying the latest Call of Duty video game.

The victim, now aged two-and-a-half, survived but is severely brain injured.

His parents, from the Dearne Valley area, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are both on trial, with the father accused of inflicting grievous bodily harm and the mother charged with cruelty by not seeking medical attention.

After the alleged assault, the baby suffered a number of seizures.

The father originally said his baby son had been unwell for several weeks.

He later told police the baby’s brother may have hit him over the head with his feeding bottle.

However, the court was played recordings of phone calls and a police interview with the man from March 28, 2013.

Between 5am and 5.30am, the man made a series of calls to police, in which he said: “I have been accused of shaking my bairn. I have done it.

“I want somebody to come around and arrest me.”

The man repeated the admission in an interview later that day.

However, when asked precisely what happened, the father said it was a ‘difficult question’.

Detective Julie Thorpe said the man had been upset during the interview and she later advised his parents to get medical assistance for him, because of how he was coping with the situation.

She said: “He kept saying he admitted to it, but wasn’t clear what he was admitting to.”

She added he had not been under the influence of drink or drugs and had been fit to be interviewed.

The trial continues.