AN historic Sheffield canal warehouse has got a new lease of life.
The Grade II listed Straddle warehouse at Victoria Quays dates from around 1900 and was built on stilts over the Sheffield & Tinsley Canal due to a lack of space within the canal basin.
Originally intended for unloading grain from barges, it was in use until 1970 and then closed for nearly a quarter of a century, until it was converted to offices as part of the canal basin renovation in the mid-1990s that led to its rebirth as Victoria Quays.
The building served as the headquarters of the Learning and Skills Council in South Yorkshire until it was abolished and owners, the Canal & River Trust, decided to renovate the building after the offices became vacant.
In addition to creating contemporary office space within the former warehouse, the Trust has installed coloured lighting designed to highlight its architectural features.
Rebecca Wilkin, estates surveyor for the Trust said; “The Straddle Warehouse at Victoria Quays is amongst the most high- profile buildings in Sheffield and this is a great opportunity to put it back on the map. It’s a fantastic location and an important part of the city’s heritage and these works will both respect its history and celebrate its position as a lasting landmark. There are few locations in Sheffield with such character and this identity, combined with its on-site parking and other facilities, will make this a popular and prominent location for local businesses.”
The Straddle Warehouse comprises a total 20,700 sq ft of office space on four floors, with on-site car parking. Letting agents are Knight Frank.