ANOTHER review into circumstances surrounding a serious attack by two brothers on boys in Edlington is to be launched.
Education Secretary Michael Gove says he is not satisfied with the position which has been reached and wants to be confident that all the necessary lessons and improvements have been identified.
It follows the publication of the serious case review into the case in full today, with names removed.
He said: “I have therefore asked Lord Carlile CBE QC to carry out a further independent review of the issues and the action taken and improvements made. “In order to ensure that this builds on the progress already made under Doncaster’s new leadership, we will be linking this with the wider review of progress already planned for this summer, as part of the Department’s formal, statutory, intervention.
The report provide full details of local agency involvement prior and leading up to a the serious attack carried out by the brothers, aged 10 and 11, on two other boys at Brick Ponds in Edlington on April 4 2009. One of the victims was left fighting for his life.
Chairman of the Doncaster Safeguarding Children Board, Roger Thompson, said: “Today’s report once again shows what a truly distressing case this was with issues for all agencies involved. On behalf of the Board, I would like to reiterate our apology and our thoughts continue to remain with the victims and their families.
“The publication provides a real reflection of just how weak individual services and multi-agency working was at the time of this incident, and we made a commitment then to make sure lessons were learned and ensure as best as we can that something like this never happens again.
“The Board has ensured 18 recommendations for improving practice and procedures have been actively addressed by all agencies involved. All are now working much better together as part of a Government approved improvement programme to deliver high quality outcomes for vulnerable children and young people of Doncaster.”
Doncaster Council’s director of the children’s services, Chris Pratt, said: “The report highlights just how broken children’s services were in Doncaster three years ago when this serious incident happened. Since then a great deal of work has been done to put in place effective leadership and stability, and drive forward urgent, significant and sustained improvements on many issues that have previously been identified as areas of concern. We know services in Doncaster have now changed for the better, and children and young people across the borough are now much safer as a result.
See tomorrow’s star for details of the report