Brave Sheffield student dragged man from fire

Nick Lawrance, honoured for dragging a fellow student from a fire in student accommodation

Nick Lawrance, honoured for dragging a fellow student from a fire in student accommodation

5
Have your say

A QUICK-thinking man who dragged a fellow student from his bed to save him from a fire has been honoured.

Brave Nick Lawrance, an undergraduate at the University of Sheffield, and a friend rescued the man after smelling smoke coming from a bedroom at Stephenson Hall of Residence in Broomhill.

A pillow placed too close to a lamp had caught fire but the student did not wake up when the blaze started in May.

Nick was presented with a ‘certificate of appreciation’ by firefighters for his actions.

Group Manager Kev Ronan said: “Put in Nick’s shoes, many people would like to think they’d have done the same thing.

“But it was only Nick’s quick thinking in discovering the fire and bravery in pulling this person to safety that prevented this from being a much more serious incident.”

South Yorkshire fire crews are targeting Sheffield’s students in a safety drive after attending 115 incidents in student properties last year.

Students are urged not to cook after a night out, cover up smoke alarms, overload electrical goods or smoke in bed.

Back to the top of the page