Boy trapped as car hits house

Damaged house on Meadstead Drive, Royston
Damaged house on Meadstead Drive, Royston
Have your say

A DISABLED boy was trapped in his wheelchair by a car which ploughed into his family home.

Residents on Meadstead Drive, Royston, Barnsley, said the 13-year-old boy called Reece was pinned under the car for an hour before he was freed and flown to Sheffield Children’s Hospital with his mother in an air ambulance which had landed on green space on nearby Manor Grove. He suffered a broken leg and extensive bruising.

Neighbours said the silver Vauxhall Astra travelled so far into the bungalow it looked “as if it was parked in a garage and you could close the door”.

His two brothers, aged eight and five, and sister, three, suffered minor injuries and were taken to Barnsley hospital for treatment but later discharged.

The driver, an 82-year-old man locals named as Noah Stant, was said to have been driving his first automatic after buying the car on Wednesday.

The vehicle was on Manor Grove approaching the T-junction with Meadstead Drive when it shot forwards, crossed the junction, ploughed through a fence and front garden and crashed through the wall.

One witness said there were pieces of fence on the bungalow roof.

A resident, who asked not to be named, said she heard the impact and saw the car “completely” in the bedroom.

She added: “It was like it had been put in the garage. The three little children came out of the hole covered in dust and cuts and bruises. They were only in their underwear because they’d been having a lazy day in bed.

“I don’t know how they got out, whether their mum pushed them, but she stayed in there with the trapped boy.

“I grabbed some towels off my washing line and covered them up. Poor things, they were so lucky.

“Mr Stant is a lovely man, he had just got the car and his son was showing him how to drive it.”

Mr Stant and a passenger escaped with minor injuries which were treated at Barnsley hospital.

A second neighbour said the road was soon choked with vehicles following the incident at 11.51am on Saturday.

He said: “I counted three ambulances, three fire engines, two fire rescue vans, lots of police and the air ambulance. You couldn’t move for emergency vehicles.”

Officers are appealing for witnesses to the incident, or who saw the manner in which the Astra was being driven, to come forward.

Call 0114 2202020 and quote incident 528 of Saturday July 23.