YOUTHS playing with an aerosol can and cigarette lighter burned a schoolboy as he walked past their group.
The 12-year-old was walking along Lister Street, Clifton, Rotherham, when he saw youths setting fire to the spray from an aerosol can and he was caught by the flame.
Police said the side of his face was affected and his eyebrows and that eyelashes were singed.
Officers have released details of the incident which happened on Wednesday, November 2, in a bid to warn other youngsters of the dangers of playing with fire.
A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: “The boy noticed a group of about six male youths standing on the street. He noticed that one youth was playing with a lighter, while another sprayed an aerosol can into the flame.
“As the 12-year-old passed the group, he was caught by the flame. The boy ran home and was later taken to hospital for treatment.
“The victim has said he believed the group had been ‘messing around’ and it is not known whether the youths had intentionally planned to harm the 12-year-old as he walked past them.”
The spokeswoman added: “Officers are reminding young people that playing with lighters and aerosol cans is extremely dangerous.
“Parents are also encouraged to warn their children about the dangers of playing with fire and can seek further advice and information from South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue.”
Witnesses should call police on 101 and quote reference 1,190 of November 2.