Booze-fuelled thugs' sickening attack on man outside Sheffield bar

Yates', Cambridge Street, Sheffield
Yates', Cambridge Street, Sheffield

A boozed-up gang which set upon a lone man outside a Sheffield city centre bar and left him with a fractured jaw have been slammed by a judge.

Members of the public watched in horror as a mother-of-three beat the helpless victim with her shoes during the six-against-one attack.

Three of the louts are now behind bars, while three women received suspended sentences following the drunken brawl outside the Yates’ bar on Cambridge Street, in the early hours of Monday, August 25, last year.

David Wain, prosecuting at Sheffield Crown Court, said: “The victim had gone to Yates’s with friends. Some disagreement occurred inside, where different parties had different views.”

The court was shown CCTV footage of the assault, which took place after the group spilled out onto the street.

The footage showed Mason Scamadin, aged 20, and 19-year-olds Kyle Chambers and Scott Gregory, all of Parson Cross, Sheffield, as well as 39-year-old Joeli Eenkhorn, from Doncaster Road, Barnsley, and Ceejay Hunt, 18, and Claire Hunt, 38, both of West Street, Worsbrough Dale, Barnsley, getting involved in the attack.

Mr Wain said: “Scamadin punched the complainant first. The victim staggers into the group, where Gregory kicks him in the face and makes a stamping motion downward while he is kneeling on the floor.”

Gregory, Claire Hunt, Ceejay Hunt and Eenkhorn - who hit the victim with her shoe - continued the violence before security waded in.

The victim was left with a broken jaw which needed surgery and cuts and grazes across his body.

Sentencing, Mr Recorder Jonathan Bennett said: “This was a very unpleasant incident. The complainant received nasty injuries. There was a large crowd that witnessed it, it’s the type of offence that concerns members of the public.”

Claire Hunt, Ceejay Hunt and Eenkhorn admitted affray, while Chambers, Gregory and Scamadin admitted causing GBH.

Chambers, of Holgate Road, and Gregory, of Wordsworth Avenue, were sentenced to eight months’ detention, while Scamadin, of Buchanan Road, will serve 10 months behind bars. Claire Hunt and Eenkhorn were handed six-month suspended jail sentences with 100 hours’ unpaid work. Ceejay Hunt was handed a four-month suspended sentence and a weekend curfew with 80 hours’ unpaid work.