Blown to bits - and camper van owners survives

Camper van which burnt out on Lime Kiln Lane at Stainton following a gas explosion
Camper van which burnt out on Lime Kiln Lane at Stainton following a gas explosion
0
Have your say

THIS was the wreckage after an explosion tore off the roof and sides of a camper van, leaving its occupant burned.

The Ford Transit blew up on a quiet country lane between Rotherham and Doncaster, in what is said to have been an accidental explosion.

A 41-year-old man is believed to have been living in the van, which was parked up in a small lay-by on Lime Kiln Lane, the road from Stainton to Tickhill.

A member of the public driving past at around 10.15pm raised the alarm after seeing the blazing van.

Fire crews from Maltby and Edlington stations took more than an hour to extinguish the flames while paramedics dealt with the casualty, who has not been named.

He has been transferred to the specialist burns unit at the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield after initial treatment at Rotherham District General.

He has burns to 30 per cent of his body, of which 10 per cent are said to be superficial and 20 per cent first degree. A police spokesman said they were not being treated as life-threatening.

The explosion is believed to have been caused when a leaking gas cylinder inside the van was accidentally ignited after the owner parked up for the night on Wednesday evening.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said the man had been asleep, woke, and flicked a lighter to see what he was doing, causing the cooking gas canister to explode.