Bloodied body found at flats

Police at the Scene of a murder in a flat on Forthway Road,Brinsworth,at the weekend
Police at the Scene of a murder in a flat on Forthway Road,Brinsworth,at the weekend
Have your say

A MURDER inquiry has been launched after a 39-year-old man was found dead in a block of flats with head injuries.

The blood-stained body of David Wilks was discovered following an incident at the flats where he lived, on Fortway Road, Brinsworth, Rotherham.

Detectives last night quizzed a 20-year-old man on suspicion of murder.

Mr Wilks was found on the landing outside his first floor flat by a shocked pensioner who lives on the floor above.

The 73-year-old woman, who did not want to be named, said: “I heard banging on a door, then when I came out I found David’s body, which was covered in blood.

“He was on the landing on the first floor.

“I’m very shocked. I’ve lived here 11 years and it’s been a nice area, with mainly elderly people living here.”

The pensioner said Mr Wilks lived in the flats with his partner Angela.

Another neighbour said: “He was just on ordinary person. Although I only knew him to say hello to, it’s still a real shock.”

Residents said Mr Wilks, who was unemployed, had lived in the flats for about five years. He is believed to have one child, who did not live with him.

A single officer stood guard at the entrance to the flats last night, allowing only residents to enter.

A South Yorkshire Police spokesman said: “We have a suspect in custody who has been arrested on suspicion of murder over an incident which happened on Saturday morning.

“The deceased, Mr Wilks, was found just after 9am with serious head injuries.

“An ambulance and police were called to the scene and paramedics worked on Mr Wilks to try in vain to save his life, but he was pronounced dead at the scene.

“A post mortem examination has been carried out and his family has been informed.”

The spokesman said no weapon is believed to have been involved in the incident.

Police spent the weekend conducting forensic examinations at the scene and were due at the flats again today to carry our further investigations.

Detectives had until midnight last night to charge the suspect or to request permission from a magistrate for an extension to allow them more time to question him.