A family who owe their lives to their new pet kitten have thanked big-hearted Sheffield folk for donations of furniture, clothing, food and toys to replace everything they lost in a blaze.
Julie Mills, her daughter Demi, and her four grandchildren, were all asleep when the kitchen of their home in Firth Park went up in flames.
But, thanks to the kitchen door being closed because of new family kitten Elsa, the fire was contained to one room. Horrified relatives fear three generations could have been wiped out if the door had been open.
Julie told The Star today: “If the kitten had not been locked in the kitchen I dread to think what might have happened to us – the door stopped the spread of the smoke.”