Bizarre range of objects removed from patients at Sheffield hospitals

Health: The Star's expert coverage in paper and on-line.
Health: The Star's expert coverage in paper and on-line.
0
Have your say

A POM pom stuck in a child’s nostril, swallowed coins and even a mobile phone were among the hundreds of objects removed from patients at Sheffield hospitals last year, The Star can reveal.

Staff at the city’s A&E departments treated 1,591 people – from pensioners to babies – who had swallowed, inserted or otherwise had objects inside their bodies.

Some of the most bizarre cases unveiled under The Star’s Your Right to Know campaign included one 29-year-old man with a mobile phone inside his body while a 21-year-old had ingested a sponge.

A hornet in an ear, swallowed necklace, gas gun pellet embedded in a teenager’s lip and a ‘small toothbrush stuck in back tooth’ were also listed.

The data showed 858 people attended A&E at Northern General Hospital with the diagnosis of ‘foreign body’ between May 2011 and April this year.

Sheffield Children’s Hospital had 733 incidents – and these showed children as young as 10 months old lodging strange items everywhere.

Although detailed data for the full year was not available just three months’ worth included a three-year-old with a ‘small pom pom’ stuck in his right nostril.

Misplaced food was a common mishap with peas, sweets, raisins and a Rice Krispie removed from little noses. A cotton reel stuck on a five-year-old boy’s finger had to be removed surgically while a baby was kept in overnight after swallowing a toy star.

Crayons, coins, marbles and even a ball bearing were also eaten by tots.

Data recovered under the Freedom of Information Act did not show exact details of what every object recovered from patients at adult hospitals were.

In some cases they were listed only as ‘foreign body’ by doctors.

But the information available showed some of the most common items recovered included retained contact lenses and cotton buds, bones stuck in throats, splinters and DIY problems such as cement, paint, glue or nails causing problems.

More unusual listings included petrol in eyes, a ‘human bite’, a stuck plum stone in the throat, problems with piercings all over the body and needles in a neck, toe and stomach.

One 16-year-old male had play dough in his ear and a woman also had washing up liquid in her eye after an ‘assault’.