A HORRIFIED mum bought her three-year-old daughter a bike for her birthday - only to find a dead rat inside when she opened the box.
Lindsey Rhodes, aged 25, bought the £90 Disney Princess bike for her daughter Mia but was disgusted to discover the decomposing rodent in the box when she got it home.
Lindsey, of Erskine Road, Arbourthorne, Sheffield, who also has a nine-month-old son, Callum, bought the bike from Argos at Drakehouse Retail Park, Crystal Peaks.
She said: “I was just so shocked, I couldn’t believe it.
“Mia’s godmother, my friend Lauren Ingle, had offered to put the bike together and had started to unpack it when the rat fell out.
“We were horrified and quickly dragged the kids away.
“I’m just so glad Mia didn’t open the box.”
Lauren, 24, of Fern View Close, Hackenthorpe, said: “It was absolutely disgusting and it made me physically sick. It smelt atrocious. It must have been in there for ages.”
The women returned the bike to the store and were offered another in return, but they declined.
Lindsey has now accepted £50 in compensation.
A spokesman for the store said: “Argos is very concerned to hear of this and, as a responsible retailer, we take issues regarding health and safety extremely seriously.
“A colleague in customer services has contacted Mrs Rhodes to apologise for any distress caused and discuss an appropriate gesture of goodwill as we conduct a thorough internal investigation.
“Argos has robust stock checking procedures in place to ensure all products included in the catalogue and available online are suitable to sell to customers.
“All products are regularly monitored through our internal monitoring system along the supply chain to ensure we comply with regulations and pest control policies.
“We are a large company and we are aware that, from time to time, things can go wrong. When this happens we try to improve our systems and services to ensure issues of this nature do not happen again.”