Barnsley rapist who targeted and terrified strangers handed 20-year-sentence

Matthew Jones
Matthew Jones
Have your say

A terrifying rapist who knocked on a stranger’s door and subjected her to a ‘horrific’ ordeal at knifepoint has been jailed for 20 years - and branded a danger to the public.

Matthew Jones, aged 30, turned up at the home of his 21-year-old victim at about 3am and asked if her boyfriend was in.

He then told her he had a gun, forced his way into her home where she lived alone, and made her perform a series of sex acts, digging a kitchen knife into her throat to make her comply.

Sheffield Crown Court heard Jones already had a history of putting women he didn’t know through terrifying ordeals.

He would telephone women, tell them he had a gun, and make them realise he could see them.

In one call he told a previous victim, ‘I’m outside your house now with a gun’. He then proved he really was watching her by asking why she had suddenly knelt down, saying, ‘I told you not to move’.

Jones, of Manor Street, Barnsley, used to jointly run The Shaw Inn pub in Racecommon Road, Barnsley, and had been to a lapdancing club on the night of his knife attack on March 8 this year.

When he began to assault his victim, she screamed and then bit him as hard as she could, the court heard.

Megan Rhys, prosecuting, said: “She was then aware of some sort of tie being pulled around her neck. He told her it would get worse and he would kill her if she did not do as she was told.”

Afterwards the victim ran from her flat sobbing and was picked up by an old school friend who saw her and took her to a relative’s home.

She felt ‘unable to live alone’ after the incident and had to take two months off work, before breaking down again two weeks into her return.

Jones was previously sent to prison in 2007 and 2011 after telephoning different women who had placed adverts.

On one occasion he called up a woman and told her to take all her clothes off. He told her he had a gun, before telling her he was in her house with a knife.

He was given four months in prison and, four years later, another 16 weeks in jail for a similar offence.

Jones pleaded guilty to two counts of rape, two counts of assault, and one count of false imprisonment.

Even his own defence barrister, Richard Barradell, said: “Crimes of this nature come through this court every week, but not of this magnitude.”

Judge Sarah Wright said Jones was dangerous and the public needed protecting.

“These were the most horrific offences and nothing must detract from the lasting impact they will have,” she said.

Jones was jailed for 20 years - 12 years in custody and eight years on licence.