Barnsley man died accidentally after cooking his tea on three disposable barbecues

Stephen Waddington

Stephen Waddington

0
Have your say

A man died from carbon monoxide poisoning after it was believed he used three disposable barbecues to cook his dinner in the living room of his Barnsley home.

Stephen Waddington, aged 53, was found slumped next to the grills and his half eaten meal by police who forced their way into his home on Tune Street, in the town centre.

The two officers who made the grim discovery needed hospital treatment after being overcome by the toxic fumes.

A Sheffield inquest concluded his death was an accident.

The court heard he had been out with his brother, Andrew, on June 21 last year.

“When I left him he spoke of his intention to have a barbecue and some beers,” Andrew said in a statement.

“He liked to have a good drink. I spoke to him on the phone at about 5pm and could tell he’d had a drink.”

The following day, Mr Waddington’s niece went to his terraced home in Barnsley and raised the alarm because she could smell gas.

A post mortem examination concluded he died from carbon monoxide poisoning.

Assistant coroner Louise Slater said: “If there are any lessons to be learned it’s how dangerous it can be to have these small portable barbecues in small places.”

Back to the top of the page