Barnsley family relive nightmare of Tunisian beach massacre one year on

The beach resort of Sousse, Tunisia
The beach resort of Sousse, Tunisia
0
Have your say

A Barnsley woman caught up in a massacre in Tunisia which left 30 Britons dead said the 12-month anniversary had left her having nightmares.

Maxine Midgley, aged 48, hid in a shopkeeper's cupboard with her partner, Richard Slater, 43, and their 15-year-old daughter Bronwyn, as Seifeddine Rezgui carried out his shooting rampage last June.

The family, from Kexborough, are planning to mark the first anniversary of the attack on Sunday, June 26 by creating a memorial in their back garden with flowers and a candle.

Ms Midgley said the memories of what happened have been more prominent as the date gets closer.

"It has been on my mind for the last few days," she said.

"Things keep going through my mind. My daughter has mentioned it a bit more.

"I've been having nightmares."

Ms Midgley recalled that it was 'like a zoo' when people rushed off the beach as the shooting started.

She had been swimming in the sea with her daughter when the gunman started opening fire in the Tunisian beach resort of Sousse.

Her partner had been sunbathing just metres away from where Rezgui started shooting indiscriminately at tourists outside the Hotel Riu Imperial Marhaba.

The trio ran from the beach and took shelter in a local shop.

Ms Midgely she suffered a 'breakdown' after the ordeal.