Barnsley dad fights for life after hit and run

Andrew Chesterton is fighting for his life in hospital.
Andrew Chesterton is fighting for his life in hospital.
Have your say

A young dad is fighting for his life in hospital after his car was struck by a hit and run driver.

Andrew Chesterton, aged 32, from Barnsley, suffered multiple injuries after a car ploughed into his vehicle from behind, causing it to spin round and smash into a tree.

Today his sister Suzanne Chesterton, 34, from Worksop, told The Star the IT consultant had broken several ribs, had a shattered pelvis, and was in a medically-induced coma to reduce the swelling on his brain.

He has also suffered injuries to his spleen and shoulders, bleeding on the brain and a punctured lung.

The smash happened in the early hours of Sunday morning near Athersley.

Suzanne, a-mum of-two, who lost her husband Dan to cancer three years ago, said: “I’ve just been to see him and I’m still in shock.

“Andrew was my rock when Dan died. 
“He was there for me from start to finish. We are just hoping he pulls through.

“I was in bed when it happened. The first I knew about it was when I got a phone call.

“My mum and dad got a knock at the door from the police.”

Suzanne said Andrew lives with his partner and has an 11-year-old daughter.

He was driving along Laithes Road, near to the junction of Lindhurst Road, in Athersley, at 12.05am on Sunday morning in his blue Audi A4 when he was struck by a man in a black Audi A4 Avant.

He was airlifted to hospital and is currently in the Northern General Hospital’s intensive care unit in a critical but stable condition.

Suzanne, a journalist and radio producer, said: “We’d just like to thank everyone who has helped him. 
“There were a lot of people at the scene, including an off duty nurse who helped him.

“The ambulance team were great and everyone at the hospital has been so supportive we just want to say thank you.”

A South Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said the man arrested over the collision was quizzed on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving and failing to stop and report a road traffic collision.

He has been released on bail pending further inquiries.

Witnesses to the crash should call police on 101 quoting incident number 8 of November 16.