A HERO teenage care worker who saved a bed-ridden man from his blazing Sheffield home has been praised by fire chiefs.
Rachael Wilks, aged 18, who works for the Carewatch care agency, was carrying out a home visit on Park Crescent, Ecclesfield, when she heard noises coming from the lounge where one of her elderly clients sleeps.
The alert teenager was preparing the 90-year-old man’s breakfast when she heard noises. Rachael rushed to see what was happening and discovered his bed was on fire.
The quick-thinking carer swiftly pulled the man to one side to get him away from the flames and put out the fire by pouring water on to the bed.
She then opened the windows to ventilate the room and telephoned for help.
The blaze had been caused by the man smoking in bed.
Firefighters were alerted to the incident – but Rachael had done everything possible to save the pensioner she was caring for.
Now she has been awarded with a Certificate of Appreciation in recognition of her quick thinking and bravery.
Area manager John Roberts, who presented the award, said: “Carers provide a vital link to some of the most vulnerable people in our communities. This incident highlights that.
“Rachael’s actions that day saved the gentleman from a horrific experience and probably saved his life.”
The county’s fire service is working with private care companies and those who care for relatives or loved ones to raise awareness of some of the most common risks of fires in the home.
Carers are urged to look out for fire risks, such as unsafe wiring, heaters or candles and ensure exits are clear.