The family of a Sheffield worker who died of an asbestos-related cancer is appealing for his former colleagues to help with an investigation into the man’s exposure to the deadly dust.
David Proctor died last year aged 68 from mesothelioma, a cancer of the lining of the lungs caused by exposure to dangerous asbestos dust while working at a plumbers’ and builders’ firm in Sheffield.
The grandfather-of-two had worked on the trade counter at Arnold Carter & Co on Eyre Street and Devonshire Street for more than 30 years between 1960 and 1995 before working his way up to become a sales director of the company.
The company was dissolved in the mid-1990s and his family has instructed law firm Irwin Mitchell to investigate how and why he was exposed to the dust.
They are now appealing for his former colleagues to help provide information on the working conditions and ‘secure justice for his death’.
Megan Christie, a lawyer at the firm, said: “Employers knew the risks of exposure to asbestos from the turn of the century but sadly too many people were not given the appropriate protection by their employers and suffer asbestos disease many years later.
“We would like to speak to any of David’s former colleagues or anyone who worked at Arnold Carter & Co from 1960 to 1995 as they may be able to help.”
David’s daughter Lisa Elvin said: “My dad’s death was devastating. It is so difficult to understand how simply as a result of going to work and doing his job he contracted a terminal cancer years later.
“Dad was very hard working and worked at Arnold Carter & Co Ltd for most of his life. We found out he had mesothelioma in September 2012 and it was just under a year later that he died. That last year of his life was just horrible.
“If anyone can help us find out more information then we ask them to get in touch with Irwin Mitchell so that we can get a sense of justice for my dad’s death.”