APPEAL: Did you work with Doncaster man who died from asbestos related cancer?

Mick Torr.
Mick Torr.
0
Have your say

An appeal has been launched to find colleagues of man who died from asbestos related cancer so his family can piece together how he contracted the disease.

Mick Torr died last year at the age of 67 after suffering from mesothelioma, an aggressive lung cancer which was caused by past exposure to asbestos.

Now his family and solicitors are appealing for people who worked with Mr Torr during his career to come forward so they can try and discover exactly how he died.

His daughter Sharon said: "The family have been left devastated at losing their father to an asbestos illness and before he became breathless and poorly, he was still very fit as at 67 he was still relatively young and was enjoying his retirement."

Mr Torr, who retired in 2012, worked as a roofer and joiner for George Wimpey in the Rossington area between 1963 and 1970 and Doncaster Council during the 1970s and 80s.

It is hoped people will come forward to help piece together how her father could have been exposed to the deadly dust.

Mr Torr was diagnosed with mesothelioma in October 2015 and died just two months later on December 17, leaving behind his two daughters, Sharon and Rachel, and his son Stuart.

An inquest earlier this year recorded a verdict of industrial disease.

He worked as a joiner and roofer for Wimpey during the 1960’s on many local housing projects, factories, schools and council buildings.

Helen Grady, a spokesman for solicitors and industrial disease firm Simpson Millar said: "He confirmed that during his lifetime he worked with asbestos boards and asbestos roof panels.

"Most of the time he worked up on the roof of many buildings, many of which were the standard asbestos cement corrugated panels. He regularly had to handle asbestos roof panels when repairing or putting up new roof panels.

"He recalled that he had to cut up asbestos with circular saws regularly. This process would release asbestos dust onto his hands and clothing. Sometimes he recalled using hand saws for finer work, plus nailing it into position and this released clouds of asbestos dust into his face."

Mick worked for Doncaster Council between 1977 to 1981 as a roofer and joiner and it is hoped that someone may come forward who can remember working with him during this time.

She added: "This is a particularly sad case as Mr Torr was not heavily exposed to asbestos and very low levels of asbestos dust can be dangerous. Michael Torr was exposed to the deadly dust during the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and all were during times when the dangers of asbestos dust were well known.

"These cases can be difficult and always seem so unfair as Mick was robbed of a healthy retirement due to wrongful exposures to asbestos dust at times when his employers should have been looking out for him. Hopefully his family will be able to find out exactly where and how Mick came to be exposed."

Anyone who worked with Mr Torr should contact Simpson Millar on 0117 327 0343 or via www.simpsonmillar.co.uk