YOU don’t have to be an expert to spot the danger from a high voltage electricity cable buried two inches below the ground – but house builder Michael Hill was powerless to get it moved.
Michael paid Northern Powergrid £570 to connect a property he is building on Beaver Hill Road, Woodhouse, to the network, but he was shocked when contractors left it so close to the surface.
He said: “The first person who tries to dig the garden would be in for a nasty surprise if it was left like this. It’s potentially lethal, it needs to be at least a foot deep.
“I paid £570 for the connection. I didn’t expect it to be left like this. I’ve contacted Northern Powergrid to get them back but I’m getting nowhere.
“I’ve got sub-contractors lined up to finish off the house. And there are tenants who aren’t able to move in.”
A NORTHERN Powergrid spokesman said “We are grateful to Mr Hill for bringing to our attention the matter of a shallow cable that only became apparent during his works. We are working with him to address this matter and subject to Mr Hill removing a section of unsafe wall, intend to correct this.”