MOTORISTS are furious over plans for seven months of major roadworks on one of Doncaster’s busiest roads - weeks after it was last dug up.
Work designed to cut congestion on Balby Road was completed last month after drivers suffered weeks of roadworks which led to major delays along the route.
Now the road is to be dug up again as the energy company National Grid starts an £816,000 project to replace more than a mile of old metal with new hard-wearing plastic pipes.
Balby Road is one of the borough’s business roads, carrying traffic to the A1(M) as well as to towns such as Tickhill, Conisbrough and Mexborough.
Doncaster Taxi Drivers’ Association vice chairman Andy Pownall said the last set of works had led to drivers queuing for up to an hour to get through Balby, and potential fares for passengers of up to £11.
He said he feared the new works would mean a repeat of the problem.
He said: “If this work needed to be done, why could they not have done it at the same time as they were digging up the roads for the last few months? It always seems to be the same.
“They have just replaced the road surface, and now it is going to be dug up again.
“It is going to be exactly the same as it was before, with traffic queuing for an hour.
“It may be alright while the schools are off, but once the kids are back it will be chock a block.
“I would have thought there will be a lot of people feeling very angry about this.”
National Grid says the new pipes will ensure residents continue to get a safe and reliable gas supply, and will last for 80 years if left undisturbed once underground.
The work will be carried out by the M1 Corridor Gas Alliance, and is due to start on Monday May 9 and run