OAP tackles chip pan fire

A PENSIONER needed hospital treatment after tackling a fire at his Doncaster flat over the weekend.

Adwick and Doncaster fire crews were called to the flat on Minden Court, off Cooke Street, Bentley, when an automatic alarm was triggered about 6.30pm on Saturday.

Police said the 76-year-old man in the apartment had fallen asleep and left his chip pan overheating on the cooker.

He was woken up by the sound of the smoke alarm and managed to bring the fire under control himself before calling the fire service.

The man was taken to Doncaster Royal Infirmary as a precaution to be assessed for smoke inhalation, said a police spokesman.

Minor smoke damage was also caused to his property, which is part of a sheltered housing complex run by a housing association.

Crews were also called to Wellington Grove, Bentley, on Sunday night.

They were alerted when youths set fire to a litter bin on a children's playground.

Got as view? Leave a comment below.

Follow The Star on Twitter and Facebook:

For breaking news and sport follow The Star on Twitter at www.twitter.com/sheffieldstar and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/sheffieldstar .


Join the Star reader panel

Main news index

Your letters


South Yorkshire's environmental news

Kids Zone

More business news

More Rotherham news

More Doncaster news

More Barnsley news

Latest sport

Back to the top of the page