TEN top things to do in and around South Yorkshire this week - February 5 to 12, 2011.
1. Until February 12, 11am-3pm, Occupation: The Street, Bank Street Arts, Bank Street, Sheffield.
Everyone has their own interpretation of what a street is; to some it’s a place to shop, others a space to socialise, for many a commuter route. This interactive intervention will transform into a diverse representation of our most prominent urban environment with help from the public.
* 0114 221 1900.
2. Feb 5, 11.59pm-3am, Ghost Investigation, Fire & Police Museum, Shalesmoor, Sheffield.
This is a great opportunity to join an investigation of this fantastic museum, full of memorabilia, equipment and (possibly) ghosts. Vigils and séances will be held in an attempt to contact those who refuse to leave. Refreshments and snacks available, proceeds to the Museum. £30 per person.
* 0114 221 1900.
3. Feb 6, 2.30pm-3pm, Guided tour of Clifton Park Museum, Clifton Lane, Rotherham.
Take this opportunity to investigate the nooks and crannies of this wonderful museum, with its famous rhinoceros vase. Please meet in the foyer 5 mins before the start time.
* 01709 336887.
4. Feb 6, 11.30am-12pm, Guided Tour of Bishops’ House, Meersbrook Park, Sheffield.
Museums Sheffield cares for the city’s collections of art, metalwork, natural history, social history and archaeology. Join members of the Learning Team for a free introductory tour to one of the gems of the collection.
* 0114 278 2600 .
5. Feb 6, 11am-1pm, A Walk Down Green Lane with John Bradshaw, Fat Cat, Alma Street, Sheffield.
Join this fact packed walk around the conservation area near Kelham Island Industrial Museum including a look at Cornish Place Works, the former Globe Works and Green Lane Works. A fascinating glimpse into Sheffield’s industrial past. £6 per adult. Part of the Off The Shelf Special – Highlighting History event.
* 0114 275 7727.
6. Feb 6, 1.30pm, Doncaster Dragons vs Coldstream Guards, Castle Park, Doncaster.
The 1st Battalion Coldstream Guards will play a friendly as well as accept a big cheque for their charity, from the sale of a locally produced music CD. There will be entertainment from some of the bands featured on the CD as well a great friendly rugby game to watch.
* 01302 734309.
7. Feb 6, 7.30pm-8.45pm, A Sheffield Storybag, Greystones Pub, Greystones Road, Sheffield.
Local storyteller Raymond Greenoak tells strange and sinister tales, unlikely legends, and half-forgotten ballads stepping out from the pages of Sheffield’s history and folklore.
* 0114 273 4400.
8. Feb 9, 6pm-8pm, Write Down Your Street Celebration and Book Launch, Café Euro, John St, Sheffield.
With readings, music, hot food and cake to celebrate Off The Shelf’s Write Down Your Street project. Writing workshops in the South of the city have encourage people to write about where they live and their personal histories for a book to be launched at this event.
* 0114 275 7727.
9. Feb 10-12, 7pm, Winter Wonderland, Doncaster Civic Theatre, Doncaster.
The Nellie Stagles School of Dance presents this wonderful cavalcade of family entertainment. Tickets from £5.50.
n 01302 342349.
10. Feb 12, 11am-3pm, Kitchen Rangers, Clifton Park Museum, Clifton Lane, Rotherham.
Join the Kitchen Rangers as they demonstrate their cooking skills on the Victorian Range. This month, they will be cooking Valentine’s Treats.
* 01709 336633.
* For further events information or more ideas about what to see and do in Sheffield and the South Yorkshire region, call Sheffield Tourist Information Centre on 0114 221 1900 or visit www.welcometosheffield.co.uk/visit