Probe vow after gas blunder

The bleed nipple on Gerald Moores boiler at home in Longley Hall Road that was left off after a routine service
The bleed nipple on Gerald Moores boiler at home in Longley Hall Road that was left off after a routine service
0
Have your say

MAINTENANCE company Kier has apologised to a Sheffield council tenant and promised a full investigation after a blunder by a workman left his flat filled with gas.

Gerald Moore said he feared his property, in a three-storey block on Longley Hall Road, Longley, could have exploded, putting himself and neighbours in danger.

Explosion risk: Gerald Moore with the boiler where a cap was left off a pipe

Explosion risk: Gerald Moore with the boiler where a cap was left off a pipe

The incident happened when a workman sent to carry out a safety inspection on his gas supply accidentally left a cap off one of the pipes to the boiler.

Mr Moore, aged 59, who works as an engineer, said: “A worker from Kier had come round last Saturday to do a check on the gas supply. He said everything was fine and left.

“The next day I went out but realised I had forgotten my phone so went back and the whole place smelled really strongly of gas.

“I immediately opened all the windows, turned off the supply and called the gas company’s emergency line for an engineer.

“When the engineer came out, he found that a cap on the main gas pipe that comes into the flat had been taken off to test the pressure but had not been put back on – and that was why the gas was escaping.

“So much for a safety check. This could have caused a catastrophic explosion, putting me and the neighbours at risk.”

Action

A spokeswoman for Kier Sheffield, which maintains Sheffield’s council houses, said: “A gas safety inspection was carried out by Kier Sheffield, following which the tenant called Transco after discovering a gas leak.

“It would appear that a component may have been replaced incorrectly during the inspection. We are taking this matter extremely seriously and are carrying out a full investigation to ensure this does not happen again. Arrangements have been made with the tenant to recheck the boiler and we would like to apologise for any inconvenience or upset this situation may have caused.”