Gas engineers are preparing themselves for a busy New Year across South Yorkshire.
National Grid engineers were called out to 519 emergency calls over the festive period last year - 234 in Sheffield and 285 in Barnsley and Rotherham.
A total of 38 of these calls were received on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day and the company is expecting a similar amount this year.
People are being urged to ring the National Gas Emergency Service on 0800 111 999 if they smell gas – even today and tomorrow.
The company is reminding people to make a note of the emergency number and not to hesitate to call it if they have a problem with their gas supply or suffer the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning - headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
Faulty or badly maintained gas appliances can leak deadly carbon monoxide gas, causing death or serious injury. In a recent inspection in South Yorkshire it was estimated that one in six of gas boilers, cookers and fires were faulty – and potentially lethal.
Around 40 people a year die of carbon monoxide poisoning and a further 4,000 people seek treatment for symptoms of the deadly gas but National Grid has three simple life-saving tips to keep people safe - ensure gas appliances are installed, maintained and fixed by a Gas Safe registered engineer, get your gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and as a backup, buy and install an audible carbon monoxide detector.